Book Title: Political Agendas for Education: From Race to the Top to Saving the Planet (Sociocultural, Political, and Historical Studies in Education)
Author: Joel Spring
The Fifth Edition of Joel Spring’s ongoing documentation and analysis of political agendas for education reflects the major political issues in education since 2008. This edition focuses on the education sections of the 2012 Republican, Democratic, Green, and Libertarian Party platforms. Taking a fresh look at the social and political forces, educational research, and ideologies shaping the educational agendas of these political parties and a comparative approach, the book stimulates reflection and discussion.
New coverage in the Fifth Edition includes:
• The political coup called Race to the Top
• Common Core State Standards and national testing based on the Standards
• Explosion of online instruction
• Debates about teacher evaluations and merit pay
• Growing for-profit education industry
• New agenda for American Education: Constitutional amendment; long life and happiness; environmental education
Political Agendas for Education is essential reading for courses dealing with the politics of education, foundations of education, educational leadership, and curriculum studies, and for educational scholars, professionals, policymakers, and all those concerned with the politics of education in the U.S. and its consequences for schools and society.